The Honor Frost Foundation (HFF) was founded in 2011.
The Foundation's mission is to promote the advancement and research, including publication, of marine and maritime archaeology with particular but not exclusive focus on the Eastern Mediterranean with an emphasis on Lebanon, Syria and Cyprus.
HFF seeks to further its mission in the following objects:
- To provide grants to independent scholars, individuals working in research establishments and to institutions to further work on marine archaeology.
- To publish and disseminate research work which is a result of the HFF grants and papers from the Honor Frost archive.
- To provide grants to museums, galleries and other national institutions to assist in displaying works relevant to the study of marine archaeology and for public education in the field.
- To sponsor public lectures and seminars within the field of marine archaeology.
- To support excavations of archaeological sites, including but not exclusively, ports, harbours, offshore anchorages, and ancient anchors found undersea relevant to Levantine archaeology.
- To support conservation work relevant to marine archaeology in the region.
- To support exchange visits of museum staff from the Lebanon, Western Syria and Cyprus.
- To facilitate the training of individuals from the region in restoration and conservation techniques relevant to marine archaeology.
- To foster and promote the protection of underwater cultural heritage.
The first research grants, totaling £130,000, have been announced and details are available on the Foundation News page.
The Trustees have decided to make a further round of grants available in April 2013. The Application Form is available on the Research Grants page. In future years the Foundation will make awards annually, in October.
Dr John Curtis OBE, FBA - Chairman
Mr Roger Clark - Hon Treasurer
Mrs Alison Cathie
Dr Claude Doumet-Serhal MBE
Mr James Kirkman
Dr Venetia Porter
Mr Peter Wolrich
Mrs Joan Porter MacIver - Executive Director
HFF Masters & Doctoral Awards
HFF announce Masters and Doctoral Awards in Maritime Archaeology at the Faculty of Humanities, University of Southampton. See News for more details.
'Coming of Age: Underwater Archaeology in the 21st Century' by Dr Jon Henderson.
12 December 2013 at the British Academy. See Eventbrite for details and registration.